Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President Obama’s Inauguration

On January 20, 2009 I witnessed the inauguration of President Barack Obama. I’m in a program called Trio here at ISU. This program hosted an event for its members to come out and watch the inauguration while we enjoyed a meal. I attended the program with my friend Courtney. I had a nine o clock class that day so I missed the beginning of it but I was able to catch the middle and the end. The room was filled with excitement and joy. Indeed it was an historic moment. Everyone had their focus on the screen not wanting to look away for even a second. After every performance or announcement we cheered. When the lady announced for everyone to stand so Obama could walk to the stand and be sworn in we stood as well. After the speech we discussed what it meant to us to have Barack as our forty fourth President.

            During the speech I listened intently to capture the essence of his words. Every now and again I drifted off to think about the new opportunities that would be offered to Americans. The speech was somber but it enlightened me. It felt good to actually hear Americas problems being addressed followed by inspiration because help was finally being offered. I respected that he didn’t bullshit us and say everything was going to be okay but was realistic and said it may take some time but eventually we’d get there. I looked around to see the expressions on my peer’s faces and some looked as though they wanted to cry while others have adorning smiles from ear to ear.

            My favorite quote from the speech was “What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.”-Barack Obama          

            This was my favorite quote because when I read it I got goose bumps. His words were so real and so true. He’s saying lets leave all the negativity behind us and move forward on a positive note. Everything that has allowed us to prosper we can continue to go about doing things that way but whatever has failed to work or is failing us we will leave that where it stands. As a people we can be united once we bestow our faith in each other as well as our country. To summarize in a shorter quote “if it’s not broke then don’t fix it”

No comments:

Post a Comment